Monday, July 11, 2005

[TV] Lost 1.12 & 1.13

**** (1.12)

Because I’ve seen the last Kate ep, I knew what was in the briefcase – and therefore this episode didn’t have the sense of surprise about it that it should’ve. However, I was still as involved as it’s possible to be when you know what’s going on.

As for Kate herself, she seems to be the Queen Bee or Alpha Female or something on the island. I’m not of the word for the position she occupies in the group’s social hierarchy. Her relationship with Jack is all about trust. Can he trust her? Can she let her guard down and trust him? That – more than anything else – is the reason their relationship hasn’t exploded into more UST.

Watching this, I realised that I enjoyed the previous two eps so much because they were action-adventure oriented. So their 5-star ratings weren’t really fair in the sense that they worked for me, but I’m not sure yet if they represent a 5-star episode of Lost.


****1/2 (1.13)

Liked the Boone ep more than I thought. His backstory with Shannon is good; I look forward to seeing her side of thing. Their dirty little secret knocked the rating up ½ a star and the fact there was a good explanation for Boone’s hallucination meant I didn’t knock it down by 2.

Looking back, I think the Sayid episode felt weak to me because it dealt only with him & Rousseau. To work and not feel one-dimensional, maybe the focus character needs to have subplots involving several other characters on the island. That let’s them show off different facets of their personality that demonstrate the problem that the flashback is illustrating.


Now my anticipation to see a Walt or Michael episode is really amped.

No comments: