Sunday, December 26, 2004

[TV] The 'lovebites' debrief

So, it's been three years since I helped write lovebites. Time to try and articulate what I learned. I expect it'll be half-rant, half-insight and all entirely subjective. However, I kept detailed files. Emails, scribbled notes, editing feedback. I have it all.

What was it like? ... Well, I suffered from paranoia that everyone was watching me and judging what I wrote. I was also the Head Writer, meaning everyone watched and judged what I wrote. In many ways, it was the best job I've ever had.

Here's a constantly updated Table of Contents that takes a crack at understanding what I actually did:

The Title

Executives

Episode 1 - Endless Revisions. Reverse-Engineering.
(1) Multiple Versions
(2) Taking Feedback. "What is 'Funny'?"
(3) Creating Phil
(3.1) Nothing says comedy like a pregnant dying wife
(4) The Big Ask

The Final Cut: "The Pilot" review

Episode 2 - Who is Clare?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hix! Loved Lovebites. Where can we avid fans find copies of Hopeless???

If I had an account I wouldn't post anonymously! This is Kate who randomly comments at times on Stonesoup.

hix said...

Hey Random Kate (right?). Thank you for the lovebites love / I tried to get involved in a conversation about it on Jenni's blog between you and (I think) Morgue but the topic had already moved on.

Anyways: how to get a copy. There are 2 things I can think of:
1) If you're up in Auckland, try Essential Films. They were our distributor and were able to get me 2 copies of hopeless.
2) If that doesn't work, contact me again. It may force me to get my a-into-g and grab the master tapes from the people I know have them.
3) You could always approach a video store who stocks it - they do exist! - and negotiate with them. I've done this a couple of times with a couple of films.