Tuesday, January 03, 2006

CBIP

I’m slowly re-reading The Ceremonies by T.E.D Klein. This is probably my 4th time through it (over about 15 years) and I’m beginning to suspect that I’ve under-rated it all this time. It may be like my recent re-read of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe; there’ll turn out to be a pretty amazing book under my memory (and previous interpretation) of something that completely misses the mark.

One thing I like about it so far is how all the characters are vaguely unlikeable. They don’t have serious character flaws, but I can see how the quirks they do have could blow up under pressure.

I’m also reading/re-reading/read some graphic novels from the library: The Filth by Grant Morrison (a grown-up and semi-coherent & complete version of 2000AD's Indigo Prime), Queen & Country: Operation Broken Ground (an absolutely first class spy thriller – just the sort of thing I love), and War Stories: Volume 1 by Garth Ennis. These are short stories set on all sides and theatres of WWII and I found them 50% hit and miss – but the hits (D-Day Dodgers, Nightingale) were devastating.

Filed in:

No comments: