Sunday, July 10, 2005

[TV] Lost 1.9

**1/2 (out of 5)

This is Sayid’s episode and it marks the first point where I think Lost isn't working as well as it should. I think that’s because what's happening to him (being tortured) and why it's happening to him (he tortured someone last week) are very obviously connected.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite saying this. After all, I really really enjoyed the way they compare to Charlie's heroin withdrawal to a moth coming out of its chrysalis - even down to Charlie struggling to break through the ground as he digs his way out of a cave in. But I guess that was more metaphorical whereas this was an entirely literal presentation. When Sayid’s strapped to an electric rack, you don’t exactly have to puzzle out the deeper meaning.

You know, the episode was fun. It had golf in it – I like golf. But it wasn’t anything special. I already figured Sayid was a nice and honourable guy; his flashback didn’t really change my opinion of that. So … yeah, a flashback that didn’t deepen or twist my understanding of his character coupled with a story on the island that’s starting to make me think the show’s going back to the Obvious Well a few too many times.

No comments: